Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Here, my 8 and half y.o. Chesapeake Bay Retriever

Customer Question

***** ***** here, my 8 and half y.o. Chesapeake Bay Retriever has a grayish lighter color tongue, it is intermittent, but I just started noticing it a week ago or so. Gums are pink and normal. Her tongue is usually pretty pinkish. She is other wise normal. Eating, drinking, defecating, breathing, energy is good. Happy disposition. Slightly more clingy. She has a slightly redish area to one of her gums that is slightly swollen like it might be a tooth or gum irritation, she was chewing on a stick earlier at the lake. She swims daily in a fresh water lake. We live in Duvall Wa. She is 82 pounds and has a nice waist, not overweight.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I should have said her name is ***** ***** she is also urinating normally as well. She has some allergies, to cotton, corn, wheat, alders and some other stuff. I try to keep her away from it but it is hard with an energetic retriever. She has some dermatitis from the allergies on her back. I want to know can I wait until Monday to see her regular vet or is this an emergency? I have seen a dog in shock before, the gums and tongue go pale and do not pink up when touched. This is different. Grayish lighter color on the tongue only.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Bluish/greyish mucous membranes suggest cyanosis/hypoxia (lack of oxygen to the tissues) but her normal appearing gums and behavior would appear to belie such a disorder. Cardiopulmonary disorders are suspected with such findings but I'm hard pressed to think such a disorder would exist in an otherwise normal dog. I'm frustrated that I can't see her tongue. It would be best that her vet take a look at it. To answer you directly, I don't hear a reason for an emergency clinic visit. Molly isn't shocky and is behaving normally.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?