Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My dog accidently got ahold of some candies with the artificial

Customer Question

my dog accidently got ahold of some candies with the artificial sweetener acesulfane-k in it. The entire package weighs 1.48 ounces and I know there were at least four missing from the box. Do i need to get her to the vet right away. she weighs 20 pounds
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she probably ate them sometime in the last forty minutes other then that, i have nothing else to add
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. This shouldn't be a bad situation. The artificial sweetener that is the bad one for dogs is xylitol. When products are eaten with it, that is when potentially hypoglycemia or liver toxicity is concerning. I found this information on Acesulfame. There were no toxic effects in dogs fed diets containing 3% acesulfame K (equivalent of 900 mg/kg/d) for two years. So as long as there is no xylitol in the candies, then this wouldn't seem to be a toxicity issue.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?