Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

Well we got back from the vet and unfortunately he has

Customer Question

Hello, well we got back from the vet and unfortunately he has parvo. What're some good ways to keep him hydrated or what can I do to help him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he's 6 months. Tuesday he got his second round of shots. Thursday's he
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: thursday is when I noticed him not being Leo. He got a shot that will help him with committing
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your boy Leo. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 10 - 15 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. I'm very sorry to hear young Leo has been diagnosed with Parvo. It sounds like he received his shots quite late which is unfortunate, as most puppies get their first shot at less than 10 weeks of age. Now he has been diagnosed with parvo virus, the best place for him to be for a chance to recover, is in the vet hospital. If they have (or if another clinic nearby has) an isolation ward, then they can keep him there, medicate him and most importantly give him intravenous fluids to help ensure he isn't becoming dehydrated. This is the main issue with parvo cases as it sounds like you already realize. If you can't keep him in a hospital right now, then you will need to continue to do the best you can for him from home. Given any medications your vet gave you as directed, and do your best to encourage Leo to drink. Plain old water is the best, ***** ***** he won't go for that then you may want to try him with Pedialyte or even make up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, and let the liquid cool before trying him with it. If he won't drink, or is drinking well but still appears dehydrated, then you really do need to get him to the vet hospital for fluids and ongoing care. For now, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcidAll the best with Leo and I hope he does manage to slowly recovery here! I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.