PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Our 80b golden retriever got into our leftover ham/bone last

Customer Question

Our 80b golden retriever got into our leftover ham/bone last night. She's drank a lot of water (for her) and has pooped several times, but now its watery and mucousy. Does this warrant a vet visit?? :(
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: nugget, she's 8
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: I think that's it.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Are you seeing any vomiting? 2) Any blood in the stool? 3) How is her appetite?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
she just vomited, there was undigested ham in it (she got into the ham over 12 hours ago). no blood in the stool, and she hasn't eaten breakfast but that's not out of the norm for her..
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She's acting normally and the diarrhea just started this past BM. before that she was just taking... large... poops.
The ham has likely upset her stomach quite a bit. There's a lot of fat in ham and it can really make them feel poorly. I have a suspicion that she's going to be headed for a veterinary visit as most of these ingestions get worse before they get better. For the time being, it won't hurt to give her some pepcid to try to calm her stomach: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid You can also switch her to a bland diet of boil skinless, boneless chicken and rice (cooked to a mush and served at room temp in small amounts often). Also, cutting back the large volume of water she's drinking may help to minimize vomiting. Allow her to have about a cup each hour until she hasn't vomited for 3-4 hours and then increase. If she continues to vomit, starts passing blood in her stool, is having abdominal cramps, or other progressive symptoms, it would be worth having her seen by a vet and started on medications to calm her stomach and stop the vomiting. We usually opt for injectable medications for situations like hers where she might vomit up the meds we're giving her, at least to start. Hopefully this coupled with a bland diet will get her back on the road to recovery. If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish assisting you before you rate my service.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy