Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog has his tail down and when I lift it he whimpers. His

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Simba almost 2 years
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: His butt is a little swollen when I lift it. My girlfriend thinks worms but we gave him medicine
JA: There are all sorts of infestations Simba can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 months ago.
hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. It may be that she injured his tail, so you will want to check his tail over well. He could also have a problem with his anal glands which will cause a dog to hold their tail down as well. The anal glands are 2 sacs on either side of the anus at about the 4' o'clock and 8 o'clock positions. If your dog is continually licking their anus and dragging it, it could also indicate that they are full. This problem can usually be resolved by emptying out the glands. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the dog's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out. If nothing comes out and your dog appears to be in pain, you should take him to the Vet. Your vet can do this easily, as he is experienced at it. Excellent site on anal glands There is a condition "cold tail" that Labradors, English Pointers, English Setters, Foxhounds and Beagles sometimes get which causes them to hold their tail close to the body. You can read about it here. It is possible that this is what you are seeing with your dog. With cold tail it sometimes takes up to 2 weeks for the tail to recover. Some owners feel the administration of anti-inflammatory medication aid in a faster recovery. Dog's have sebaceous glands and perianal glands at the base of their tails. Sometimes, these glands can become clogged and swollen. A warm compress on the spot and cleaning with Benzyl peroxide gel may help with the problem. I would also use some Neosporin or triple antibiotic cream on the area as well. Dogs with this swelling of the sebaceous gland may have a problem with hypothyroidism or a hormonal imbalance, so I would suggest you have your dog seen by your vet if you do not see improvement. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.