Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My dog was walking on eggs today she has been having a little

Customer Question

my dog was walking on eggs today she has been having a little trouble walking but today it was like her back leg turn into a floppy rabbit leg she cannot stand I have an appt with the vet in the am but she is breathing heavy and cannot stand up her leg is lifeless should I take her to the ER or do you think I can wait until the morning I won't leave her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: nothing its like she had a stroke maybe and her leg lost who know what
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: zoe and she is 14 it feels like a loose chicken leg
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. My rule of thumb with a lameness is whether or not they can bear weight. If they are non-weight bearing, then I would go in right away. That makes me worry about something broken or dislocated or it's just that painful that they won't use it. X-rays should get this sorted out so you know what is wrong. If it's fractured, then hopefully it can be stabilized with a cast or splint. If something is dislocated, then it may require surgery to stabilize the leg. Either way, I would go to the ER tonight to get it evaluated. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hi Rachael,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?