Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

She ate a half .50 of xanax JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The

Customer Question

She ate a half .50 of xanax
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Brandy shes 1yr
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Shes a chawini 8 pounds
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 8 months ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Brandy and Xanax.(typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 8 months ago.
Can you please tell me if she is otherwise healthy?Does she take any medications?How long ago exactly did this happen?Are you sure it was only one?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 8 months ago.
Can you please clarify the mg strength of the Xanax tablet? Was it a 0.5mg tablet? Or did you write 0.50 to indicate it was a half a tablet?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 8 months ago.
While I await your reply, I'll let you know the following things:For a healthy, 8-pound dog on no other medications, an initial dose of Xanax that a veterinarian would prescribe would be anywhere from .08mg to 0.20mg.If Brandy ate 1/2 of a 0.5mg tablet, that means she ate 0.25mg. This small of an overdose is not expected to cause serious problems for an otherwise healthy dog on no medications. If anything, it may cause excessive sleepiness. Some dogs experience an opposite reaction, becoming active and having an increased appetite(typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 8 months ago.
Information from the poison control center lists the following reports for Xanax overdoses in dogs...Alprazolam overdoses are generally limited to depression, lethargy, and sedation. The severity is generally dose dependent. Life threatening signs in small animals are rare. Some animals may present with a paradoxical type reaction (disorientation, vocalization, agitation, etc.). At times, those signs may be followed by CNS depression.The majority of cases reported showed no symptoms at all. Other side effects included:incoordinationhyperactivity/agitationlethargy/sedationvomiting
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 8 months ago.
The bot***** *****ne is that in the case of a small exposure like this, the risks of inducing vomiting are not worth the risks of leaving the dose in there. If it is likely the exposure was larger or if Brandy is experiencing alarming side effects, the safest plan is to go to your closest emergency vet for treatment.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 8 months ago.
I hope this information is helpful to you. I want to be sure you know you can type in a reply to give me the other information I was asking you for, or if anything I've said needs clarification. Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 8 months ago.
Hello,Just checking in to ask how Brandy is doing.Thanks,Dr. Jo