Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Eyes are dialated, doesn't want to do anything, neck on both

Customer Question

Eyes are dialated, doesn't want to do anything, neck on both sides sore and cuts on both sides.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No. the cuts are small. I tried to wash them out, hair is inside of cut. She's sore and hasn't moved all day. I'm not sure if it was a squirrel or if an Eagle tried to pick her up.
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tiny and she's five or six. She is a rat terrior.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: She has not had any shots other than treated a couple months ago when a fight with another dog resulted in stitches.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. I would want to get these wounds looked at by a vet. If they were due to a squirrel or eagle/ hawk trying to pick her up then they have a high likelihood of getting infected. Rodent teeth and bird talons are full of bacteria. I would want to clip up the wounds and flush them out with an antibiotic solution. I would then put her on some pain meds and oral antibiotics so they don't get infected. If you don't get them clipped and cleaned out, they are almost sure to abscess and get infected. If you are able to clip/ clean them at home, you could do that and then go to a vet tomorrow. If shes doesn't let you do that, then I would just go now for treatment. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.