Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My 5 month old puppy had exploratory surgery sock in

Customer Question

My 5 month old puppy had exploratory surgery for a sock in his stomach. The surgery was Wednesday at 3pm. I brought him home today and he has drank water while laying on his side and also ate. However he can't get up. He has been in the same position since 10am and has not gone pee pee or poopy. He was on IV fluids and also a catheter. What should I do.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. What are you giving him for pain? How much and how often?What does he weigh?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Carpaquin 75 mg 1/4 tablet 2 times a day he weighs 15-16 lbs
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks. We can't go up on the Carprofen at all. I would call your vet and see if they can add some Tramadol or Gabapentin for pain. I like the combination to help with post-op exploratory pain. For now, the only other thing you could add at home would be Benadryl. That can have some sedation and anti-inflammatory effects. The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed. That may help him get by until they can add something stronger. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your help
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
You're welcome.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry but one of my questions was is it okay that he has staying lying on the same side all day or do I have to move him to other side. Or do I just let him move when he is ready?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
I would rotate him to the other side every 6-8 hours if he's not turning himself.