Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I have an Old English Sheepdog

Customer Question

I have an Old English Sheepdog who had trouble with feces around his anus. I clipped all of it off on Wednesday. Yesterday we were able to give him his summer haircut and around the anus was a ton of maggots. We treated them and I think they are all gone. I also gave him some over-the-counter dewormer. Today he is just lethargic. I am thinking he needs to get on an antibiotic. I have called the vet, but have no received a return call. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help The. How old is The?
Customer: He is 8.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: We sprayed the area with anticeptic spray and animal fly spray.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) How short is this summer haricot? Were you able to brush him down to the skin? 2) Any licking or chewing? 3) How is his eating and drinking? 4) Any vomiting or stool issues?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We cut his hair pretty short. We were using our sheep shears. We didn't get completely finished, because he started becoming kind of agitated, so we thought we would finish today. He hasn't been licking or chewing since we removed all of the feces and the worms/flies. When I gave him the dewormer last night he ate it and his food completely, but I haven't noticed him eat today. He has not vomited and I haven't seen him use the restroom. He acts sore, like it's hard to get his back legs to going. We have been having beautiful spring days and today, wouldn't you know, it's chilly and rainy. I have him in a warm spot, off the ground on his bed with the wind blocking where he is.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you still there???
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry, JACustomer. Each expert comes onto the website at different times. I happened to have been signed off at the time that you had responded. It looks like another Expert has satisfactorily answered your question so I have asked customer service to close this thread. I'm opting out now. Best of luck with your companion.