VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

My name is ***** ***** and I have a 11 week old Siberia

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** and I have a 11 week old Siberia husky. She is 13 pounds and she ingested a very small portion of Styrofoam from some packaging material. I found the square blocks but I caught her in time so they are still I would say 90% intact. I'm very concerned because of her age. Should I give her hydrogen peroxide and if so what would her dose be? Also is there anything else that I can do for her?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No that's pretty much it..oh and it did happen about 30 minutes ago.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 1 year ago.
Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to answer your question for you. Can you tell me how small it was in dimensions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like 2 by 3 inches and there were two of them.
So the piece that is missing was only a very small bit of the 2"x3"block?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes out of both of them. But I haven't been able to find any more so she might have ingested more.
That -seems- to be good news. The styrofoam itself does not pose any toxicity issues, as it is pretty much inert. The most concerning thing is if it is small enough to pass through the digestive tract. I'm going to type up a little paragraph on your options here, so it make take me a few moments!
Since the pieces were so small (we assume), probably the best option would be to try and bulk it through. We do this by adding fiber to the diet in the form of 1 tbsp of plain canned pumpkin (not the pie filling) twice a day for 2-3 days, and bee on the lookout for pieces of foam in the stools. If the foam is having trouble passing, you would start to see signs of what we call a GI obstruction within 2-3 days. Typically the stop eating, stop drinking, start vomiting frequently, have sore stomachs, grow restless due to the pain, strain to poop, and their gums can turn while. If this happens at any point, get her into the vet immediately. If you think a larger piece may have been swallowed, at that point we would want to induce vomiting to get her to bring it back up while it's in her stomach. Given her age and weight, it's not entirely safe to do this at home, so I would head into the vet clinic to have them do it for you. This is the option I would choose if you think anything more than a few centimeters is missing from all of the styrofoam. IF you think just some tiny pieces are gone, this is unlikely to be necessary.