Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog is 15 years old and has 2 heart conditions. he is

Customer Question

hi. my dog is 15 years old and has 2 heart conditions. he is coughing up bile and breathing very heavily and fast. he is being treated with vetmedin fortekor and flusapex. we have an appointment with our vet on Monday night
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: bobby
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: we saw another vet on Tuesday who suggested we have him put down but we wanted to wait until we saw our vet as he has been treating him for the past 5 years. after that visit he did improve a lot but just in the last few hours he has started the heavy breathing
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hi I was unable to find the password ***** sent in my gmail. will I still get a response from the vet ?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The first drug you should reach for is his Flusapex. Double the dose and give it every 6 hours until his respiratory rate normalizes - less than 40 breaths/minute at rest. Do your best to have Bobby attended to before Monday night. It sounds as if his heart has decompensated. Please give me an update on him and please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?