Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Fed my cocker spaniel around 10 pm, a lot later than usual,

Customer Question

Fed my cocker spaniel around 10 pm, a lot later than usual, he is now up panting and restless. I put the air on thinking he was hot, and now he is laying down again and seems to be at ease.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your cocker spaniel. What is the cocker spaniel's name and age?
Customer: Max, age 5
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: He was shaking his head a few times, but it looks like he is comfortable now.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. I suspect that the change in his feeding schedule resulted in gastrointestinal distress in the form of nausea and/or gastroesophageal reflux (GERD/acid reflux/heartburn). This should have been transient as it appears to have been. Administering an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) dosed at 0.25 mg/lb is reasonable if symptoms have persisted. Panting and restlessness aren't indicative of any one prticular disorder but do suggest discomfort in dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?