How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PitRottMommy Your Own Question
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 4544
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164
Type Your Dog Question Here...
PitRottMommy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 80-90 lb dog ate a 60 mg cymbalta

Customer Question

My 80-90 lb dog ate a 60 mg cymbalta
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.
Hi Lorraine, thanks for your question. Have you seen any vomiting from Brownie just yet?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.
Was the hydrogen peroxide fresh or from a bottle that had been open a while?Do you know when the Cymbalta was consumed?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Had been open awhile. He consumed it about an hour and a half ago.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.
You have roughly another 30 minutes or so to induce vomiting from this medication. This is a medication we do not use in dogs regularly, so adverse effects may be seen. It's imperative that you use the freshest peroxide available. If possible, obtain a brand new bottle and try to induce vomiting again using these instructions. If this does not work, it would be wise to go to the ER this evening to have vomiting induced and activated charcoal administered to prohibit his body from absorbing the mediation. http://www.sunrisepetclinicaz.com/vomiting.htmlIf my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish assisting you before you rate my service.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I've read that this medication has been used for depression in dogs.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have some bbq charcoal is that the same
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.
The literature that I have from poison control states that the induction of vomiting is recommended. As well, I do not find information for Cymbalta on treating depression in dogs. If this is the case, it's certainly not yet widely available and toxicology reports are suggesting otherwise. You can find more information about the toxicology reports here: https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/Pages/Poison-pills-for-pets.aspx You will also find that Cymbalta is one of the top "poison pill" ingestion for dogs. Charcoal briquettes are not the same as activated charcoal. Please do not give these as your companion is likely to become very ill. If you cannot induce vomiting before that 2 hour mark post-ingestion, a visit to the ER is indicated.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, I'm not satisfied. Two of the other doctors on this site disagree with you. They both say that toxicity does not occur unless the dose is over 10mg per 1lb.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here's one storyi just found my dog possibly ate a 60 mg tab of cymbalta also.
she weighs about 45 pounds... Show More
Ask Your Own Dog Question
Picture
CANDY, Veterinary Technician
Satisfied Customers: 11494
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Hello,I am sorry to hear Lucky got into your medication.In most cases we see no problems unless given at doses higher then 20mg per kg which for your dog would be much higher then the 60 mgs she ingested.I would not expect to see any problems at this doses especially if she did not get it all. I would keep a close eye on her for the following symptoms . Hyperactivity, trembling, stumbling when walking. If any of these develop then she should be seen by a vet immediately.
While I would not expect to see any serious symptoms keep an eye on her as any dog can have a unexpected reaction.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.
Lorraine, it would be irresponsible of me to have literature from Poison Control in front of me and educate you against their recommendation. Therefore, I will contact customer service for you. Best of luck with your companion.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I understand your position and would probably Ido the same.