PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

We have a 2-1/2 yr old shepherd mix female who has always been very healthy until about 2

Customer Question

We have a 2-1/2 yr old shepherd mix female who has always been very healthy until about 2 weeks ago. She has not been eating or drinking much. I have been giving her chicken breast and rice but she stopped eating again today. I took her to our vet who took blood tests and an xray of her spleen and found nothing abnormal. They have no idea what's wrong with her. She is urinating and has had bowl movements. She is terribly dehydrated so they did hydrate her at the vet but she's dehydrating again. She is constantly flinching her eyes which they tell me means she's in a lot of pain. She sleeps all the time.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.
Hi Patty, I am so sorry to hear about Miss Maddie. I will be happy to assist you today. Can you give me more information about Maddie? 1) Did her symptoms begin 2 weeks ago? What was the primary concern? Not eating or drinking? 2) Have you seen any vomiting? 3) Do you have any blood work to share from this visit?4) Any diarrhea? 5) What was her normal food source before? Was any human food eaten? 6) Any other symptoms such as an awkward appearance to her gait? 7) Is she spayed? If not, when was her last heat cycle?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Her symptoms did start about 2weeks ago. Primary concern was that she was very lethargic, and stopped eating and was drinking hardly any water becoming very dehydrated. She was gagging and dry heaving but no vomiting. She had blood work and they said her platelets were high. They also took xrays of her spleen and saw no obstacles and nothing in her intestines. No diarrhea. Normally she eats dog food only. No human food. Walking very slow, blinking or flinching her eyes as if in great pain. Sleeps all the time. Very very dehydrated will not hardly drink water. She is spayed and is up to date on her shots.
Thanks for the additional information. Did your vet send you home with a copy of the lab work that shows what was run?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes. CPL. Super hem/CBC Blood Cell Count, Prep Differential Exam of Blood Cells Electrolytes Internal Function Screen Also gave Maddie MRX Hills Canine I/D Low Fat GI Restore, Cerenia 24 mg and Subcutaneous Fluid Therapy
Thank you for the additional information.Although nothing was seen her in intestines at the time of her having abdominal x-rays performed, there is still a risk that she may have something in her intestines causing this issue. We can only see things on the x-rays that are radiopaque (show up on x-rays) things that are not radiopaque will not show. This can be anything from a sock to a plastic toy to thread. A barium series is indicated when symptoms persist in such a young dog. More information here: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2116&aid=1001It also sounds like she needs to be on injectable anti-emetics if she's still having vomiting. I presume that you've likely run out of cerenia by now unless they sent you with multiple packages. Your vet can also give injectable pain medication like buprenorphine to help with the discomfort she's exhibiting. This is another symptom of a potential gastric foreign body.If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish assisting you before you rate my service. If she's continuing to dehydrate, having IV fluids performed until a diagnosis is made may be needed. Your vet may also wish to recheck the lab work to see if anything as become abnormal since the original lab work which may indicate what is going on.