Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have a 14 year old female Lab that has never had pups and

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old female Lab that has never had pups and is pregnant? Can she be in danger??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No... Just that she still healthy but a little slower these days:-)
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

If she has never had pups before then you should expect complications from this pregnancy. It is possible the pups may have a hard time moving through the birth canal and thus you might need a c-section. At 14, she probably is not a good candidate for surgery either Most breeders will not allow a first litter out of a dog older than say 5-6. And they usually won't allow a dog over 7-8 have pups either without their vets giving the ok as to the dams health.

A female dog's eggs age along with the dog. The older the eggs, the higher the chance of birth defects and other issues with the pups as well. So you not only have health issues with your female Lab but the pups may not be viable either.

If the pregnancy has not been confirmed, you may be looking at a case of pyometra. Pyometra generally occurs 60-70 days after a heat cycle. It is usually seen in older unspayed females but can be seen in any age. It is diagnosed by ultrasound showing fluid in the uterus. There are two types of Pyometra (open and closed cervix) Symptoms of open cervix Pyometra are a vaginal discharge that may be pus or bloody, lethargy, anorexia, increased thirst and urination, vomiting and diarrhea, and abdominal swelling though the dog remains fairly healthy due to the infection draining from the body. Closed cervix Pyometra symptoms are the same without much of a discharge, they appear very ill, there is usually weight loss and abdominal swelling and is much more extreme. Dehydration, shock and death can occur if not treated aggressively.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/pyometra-in-dogs/915

If you are seeing abdominal swelling, it may be from pyometra and not pregnancy. I'd have to recommend having her seen by your vet as if it is pyometra, it can be deadly. Preferred treatment is spaying. The earlier it is caught, the better your girls chance of survial is. If she is indeed pregnant, your vet may recommend spaying if it is still early in the pregnancy to both prevent future infection or litters and abort the pups as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?