Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My dog is going to the vet tomorrow. This started a couple

Customer Question

My dog is going to the vet tomorrow. This started a couple of days ago. My dog is scratching herself. She is also running around and acting like she is afraid of something. She calms down when I pet her. But she cannot seem to settle down to rest or sleep. I have given her at least 2 teaspoon of Benadryl. I have been giving her Benadryl every 4 hours or so, it helps but she is still scratching and acting strange. I have tried using Aloe Vera. It is natural, just pulp from the leave. Again, it is helping, but I want to know how I can help her tonight until I can get her to my vet, tomorrow.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Like what would you like to know?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would love to assist you.

Can you tell me the weight of the dog?

Is the Liquid Benedryl you are using for children at 12.5 mg per teaspoon full?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is liquid Benedryl and it is for children. My dog weighs about 10 lbs.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

The Dosage you gave is fine. It is dosed at 1-2 mg per pound of body weight. I would not give more than every 6 hours since it can have a rebound effect and make your little one anxious. you can try an Oatmead Bath to try and soothe the itching. The aloe is not suggested. The Vet will most likely give a Steroid to help especially if the Benedryl is not working. There is another Antihistimine that may work better called Chlortimeton. It could posisbly help where the Benedryl is not. The dosage would be in dogs at 0.1 mg per pound to 0.4 mg per pound. Generally it would be 2mg-4mg for a dog the size that you have. This can be found at Walmart which is open 24 hours a day. http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton

Unfortunately you are limited with the Benedryl not working to try the Chlortrimeton and the Oatmeal bath. Or an ER Vet visit.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Checking in to see how your Dog is doing. I hope the Vet was able to assist you. Please let me know if the information supplied was helpful.

Joan