PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Puppy ate a tampon and growls when belly is touched, Maya,

Customer Question

Puppy ate a tampon and growls when belly is touched
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Maya
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maya?
Customer: She passed a string but nothing else.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) When was the tampon eaten?
2) Was it the tampon only or applicator also?
3) Are you certain that she consumed only one?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yesterday
Tampon
I believe so
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Her stool has been getting stuck to her bum and belly is making sounds. She is still eating and drinking along with playing with the other dog.

Unfortunately your little girl is outside of the window for the induction of vomiting to bring up the tampon.

The growling can indication of a painful abdomen and may indicate that the tampon has blocked her intestines. I would highly recommend having her seen by a veterinarian just as soon as you are able (ER this evening, if you have one local). When it comes to potential gastric foreign bodies, acting sooner rather than later would be ideal. Typically dogs begin showing symptoms 24-48 hours after having eaten something they were not supposed to eat and it sounds like the timeline is right for her tummy to hurt but for vomiting not to have started yet. If she has a blockage, this will certainly start in the next day or so. You may also notice some nausea (drooling) or refusal to eat. This will indicate that her stomach is upset, of course, and having her seen will become even more imperative. Once a blockage occurs, the intestinal tissue can very quickly die off and a pet can become septic. Keep a very close eye on her if you choose to wait and watch to be sure her symptoms don't progress.

Because she's so young and she's already eaten something that she was not supposed to eat, be advised that she's unlikely to learn from this. Most dogs are repeat offenders and will not only eat the same things again (like tampons) but will find more things to eat in the future (like condoms, pads, tampon applicators and other things that tend to be in the trash that we'd otherwise like to keep away from dogs). A covered trash can weighted with a brick or two in the bottom may be indicated (many owners have to keep their bathroom doors shut). Kennel training can also be used for when you're unable to monitor her behavior.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish assisting you before you rate my service.