Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Y name is derika my dog woke up this morning shaking i

Customer Question

hi y name is ***** ***** dog woke up this morning shaking i walked him and he pooped and peed fine no diahrea he took a treat for going potty but just seemed not his usually self and is not interested in eating his breakfast
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: so I have an 8 year old cockapoo and he has no existing medical condistions and he woke up this AM shaking i walked him and he pooped and peed he took a treat but was not acting like his normal self i gave him breakfast and he is not interested in eating it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 8 months ago.

Good Morning Derika and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely your guy has suffered an injury to a disc in his back. This is very common in older cockapoos because of their conformation. Since he does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for his pain which is being shown by the shaking and lethargy. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, he will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when your guy jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as you can get your guy to eat something, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing his pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow him to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine him to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****