PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

It was suggested I get a echocardio gram dog to understand

Customer Question

It was suggested I get a echocardio gram for my dog to understand the relative progress of his heart murmur. I am trying to find a cardiologist in the area as the vet's price of $450.00 is quite expensive
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: He has a heart murmer. On a scale of 5 out of 6 according to the vet. I had another vet tell me it was a murmer 1 or 2 every 4.
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He doesn't hurt. I wanted to get his teeth cleaned and they suggested he get a test to check the progress of his heart disease.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: The dog is in great shape. Dobie is 12 a chi and hikes 4-9 miles unassisted. LOL.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dobie?
Customer: no. he is 12 years old and in great health.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, thanks for your question.

If you don't mind sharing your city and state, I may be able to find other cardiological options in your area. Cardiology visits are expensive no matter what way you cut it, but there may be less expensive options.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I am located in Reston Virginia

Give me about 30 minutes to do some research for you. Is there a certain distance you're willing to travel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. 30 minutes travel time or so. You can give you me the options and I can look at distance cost options.Ed

Take a look at this website to find cardiologists that are close to you in areas: http://www.cavalierhealth.org/Cardiologists.htm

You may also wish to look into having a board certified internist or radiologist perform the heart scan, as they usually tend to be a smidge cheaper than a board certified cardiologist.

An option I would also recommend looking into would be AKC shows that hold heart scanning clinics. These are meant specifically to determine if a dog does or does not have heart disease, it's not meant to have a workup. In fact, many cardiologists who work at these shows will be specific that they do not want to see dogs with known heart disease (because they need a better workup). However, if this boy has never been scanned this would be a good way to trim a few dollars off the top and determine if this is a murmur that is a problem or one that is simply present and won't cause him issues. In general, we expect that heart murmurs in dogs will likely result in heart disease (and especially in breeds like the chihuahua) but this can be a good way to get your foot in the door and determine if you need to spring for the more expensive cardiology visits at a speciality hospital. You can look at upcoming events here: http://www.akc.org/events/ Make sure to double check that the event will be having a cardiologist for heart scans as not all shows hold these types of events. If need be, reach out to the cardiologist to confirm their attendance.

If I can help you further, please let me know:

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish assisting you before you rate my service.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy