Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My name is ***** ***** and I am trying to breed two Labs.

Customer Question

Hello. My name is ***** ***** and I am trying to breed two Labs. Progesterone levels for the bitch: Monday=2.5, Tuesday=2.3. Vaginal smear shows still nucleated cells both times. She still has slight spotting. None of my males show interest. I have never had progesterone go down. what does that mean. she is day 11 of her spotting.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: female is 3. never been bred. male is 7 and has been collected but never bred naturally. sperm counts very good and active all times collected.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 8 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Since your gal has not been bred and she is still quite young, this may still be a transitional phase for her. The fact that she still has nucleated cells on the vaginal smear tells us that she is still in the proestrus period and not yet into Estrus. Your gal will not show interest in the male until she is in full estrus. I know that this proestrus period should be 7-10 days but with a transitional bitch, this could be longer.

It is odd that the progesterone levels have decreased but I believe that they will continue to increase and this minor difference is a fluke and they will rise after this until she is in full estrus.

Continue to test progeserone levels and vaginal smears to know if she is getting closer to full estrus. This may take longer than the books say it should mostly because she is still young.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta