Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

We just noticed that our dog's testicles are red in between

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We just noticed that our dog's testicles are red in between his legs and he's licking on them a lot and when you touch him it hurts him
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

If the testicles are just red, it could be irritation from the constant licking. Dogs lick their testicles for various reasons including fleas, a skin dermatitis or even an allergic reaction such as a contact allergy to a new cleaning supply. You might try benadryl at a dosage of up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours and see if that helps him. However, if the testicles are swollen, he will need to be seen.

A dog's testicles can become swollen for numerous reasons. It can be caused by an injury, which allowed microorganisms to enter the testicles. Some diseases like influenza or distemper can cause swelling. There is a disorder called Hydrocele which allows fluid to accumulate in the scrotum. A dog's testicles can also twist causing swelling and sudden pain. This is called Testicular Torsion. The testicles are also a site that can be affected by tumors as well in intact males.

If your dog's testicles are swollen you really need to take your dog into the vet to determine the cause and receive treatment. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?