Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog is cold, drooling constantly, unstable on her feet,

Customer Question

My dog is cold, drooling constantly, unstable on her feet, and had a siezure, and is vomiting. Can you help me
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. How old is Cold?
Customer: She is 3 and a half years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cold?
Customer: No but she Raven ran off today for a couple hours which is normal for her when she slips out. She likes being outside
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 8 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your pup is having such a rough evening. I will do my best to help.

Has she ever had a seizure before? Your description of what is happening with her is definitely concerning enough for me to recommend that you take her to an emergency clinic for an urgent exam. Since she was out and about today unsupervised, I am most concerned that she may have "gotten into" something toxic that may require immediate treatment. There are lots of possibilities in terms of toxins that can cause the signs that you're seeing. The most "benign" thing that could be going on is that she's had her first seizure, which can be a random occurrence - just having a seizure can cause them to shake, drool, and act wobbly, but this should go away fairly quickly after the seizure stops. The addition of vomiting is an unusual finding for a dog who is only having a seizure event - they usually do not also vomit, which is why I'm concerned that something more serious may be going on here. If you absolutely cannot get her to a vet, then try to keep her environment quiet and dark. With vomiting dogs it's also best not to allow them to eat or drink for a few hours after they've finished vomiting so that their system can rest. You can try some water in a few hours after she last vomited, followed by some food a few hours later if she keeps that down. I would not use those recommendations to take the place of a proper trip to the vet, though.

Please let me know what other questions I can handle for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara