Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

My boxer, 6 months old, 60 pounds, just got into and drank a

Customer Question

My boxer, 6 months old, 60 pounds, just got into and drank a bottle of Delsym cough syrup (3 oz). His face is swollen. What can I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: He doesn't have a cough - he's a puppy & just got ahold of the bottle.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. If he is swollen after ingesting the cough medication, he should see a Vet asap. That means it is an allergic reaction to the medication and needs a shot of Benedryl and possibly a steroid to help with the reaction. Please take the bottle with you into the Vet so he has a reference to the medication and can treat accordingly. Please watch for the tongue swelling as that can cut off the airway.

Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.

How is your Dog doing tonight since the allergic reaction? I hope he is better. Please let me know.