Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Same question I was looking at my dog ate a wellbutrin, it

Customer Question

Same question I was looking at my dog ate a wellbutrin
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: it was a 200 mg plaquenil .shes 40 lbs almost 2 yrs old and her name is nora
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nora?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did she eat Wellbutrin or Plaquenil ?

If it was Wellbutrin, what was its mg?

How long ago?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Plaquenil 200 mg I'm not sure how long ago
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Plaque il 200mg
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that it was that one, since that is the less dangerous of the two. As well, Plaquenil is used in dogs, therefore this isn't an outright poisoning. Though if she is 40lbs, then this is a double dose for her size. In regards ***** ***** signs with that, we mainly see lethargy and GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss).

Now if we aren't sure when she had this, we need to tread with care. If you think it has been <2 hours, we can induce vomiting to get this back. TO do so, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or if you think its been longer but less then 8 hours, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, if it has been longer or we want to monitor and just use supportive care, we do have some options here for her. Specifically, you can try to offset any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this is a large dose for her and we do need to be wary of adverse signs. Still depending on how long you think it has been, we can start the above now for her to offset this risk +/- prevent any GI upset for her. Of course, if she is very unsettled with this, then we'd want her vet to see her for symptomatic care.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

**I hope all is well with your wee one. If possible, I would be grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)