Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My name is ***** *****. I noticed the other day that my dog

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. I noticed the other day that my dog is starting to get these bumps on the bottom of her chin. I was sitting on the couch with her this evening and noticed that the bumps are in a cluster and slightly swollen. I've been doing some research and it seems they may be dog acne?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My pit has swollen clustre of bumps on her chin
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

What you describe does sound like " Dog Acne " which is often found under the chin in some breeds, luckily this is rarely a serious disease and does not bother the affected dogs much but it is unsightly and should be treated if it is spreading. I saw this type of skin condition many times at my clinic and my usual approach would be :

1. Mild cases require no treatment except perhaps a cleansing shampoo, apply this with a soft nail brush, do not hurt the dog of course but be quite vigorous with it. A suitable wash would be dilute hibiscrub diluted 1 : 4 . { this is an over the counter product } Do this daily until you start to see a response and then gradually tail it off.

2. More severe cases would benefit from an antibacterial/anti-malassezia wash twice a week, a suitable product I have used would Malaseb, you can get this from your vet, better pet stores or online.

3. More severe cases may benefit from antibiotics, perhaps given for a longer term than normal. I initially tend to prescribe tetracyclines but other antibiotics are suitable as well.

The bot***** *****ne is that this is a condition which responds well to treatment as long as you are persistent, but recurrence is likely in some cases. However if the condition does not improve using simple common sense means or starts to deteriorate then it would be best to have your vet check things over.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.