petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

My 9yr old Boston Terrier has threw yellow liquid (like pee)

Customer Question

My 9yr old Boston Terrier has threw yellow liquid (like pee) yesterday. Today he barely could stand, is very lethargic and has a brown liquid coming from one side of his nose. Otherwise, been very healthy for the past 9 yrs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the Boston terrier. What is the Boston terrier's name?
Customer: Bullet
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bullet?
Customer: Normally doesn't eat grass, but notice him eating grass lately. And, he stinks. Normally doesn't have a smell, but good God he's really bad.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Bullet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Can you look at his gums and see if they are nice and pink and if the color comes back quickly when you press on them.

Is he still vomiting today?

Is he eating and drinking today?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Gums are very light pink, I pressed them, they went white, then a came back light pink. He stopped vomiting after we removed all food and water last night about 9pm.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He maybe a little dehydrated. Gums were slightly tacky and his skin doesn't bounce back like our other Boston Terrior, whose is healthy and well,
Expert:  petdrz. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the reply.

Yes I would expect that if he was vomiting and hasn't been taking in food and water as usual, he is likely somewhat dehydrated, which could contribute to the vomiting. What concerns me is why was he vomiting in the first place? With the odor that you describe, I am concerned about a possible metabolic problem as these can lead to changes in the odor of a dog. Common metabolic changes that can do this are things like kidney disease and diabetes, but even some GI diseases can as well.

Fluid coming from the nose can be consistent with a foreign object in the nasal cavity or even a tumor and that can lead to odor as well if it gets infected.

I would definitely recommend that you have Bullet examined by your veterinarian so that a proper diagnosis can be made and appropriate treatment offered. In the meantime, you can try to offer small bits of water at a time or even small amounts of chipped ice to keep him hydrated.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you Dr. Z. We are introducing water, via ice chips now slowly. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 7 months ago.

You are most welcome and good luck with him.

Expert:  petdrz. replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.