PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Trixie is a little 12 year old mixed breed. She has been

Customer Question

Trixie is a little 12 year old mixed breed. She has been shaking and limping/holding up her back leg. Will eat sometimes but not on her regular schedule.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes-she has had this limping before. The vet said it was probably like a trick knee problem. The shaking is what seems unusual. She isn't as perky as usual.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Trixie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Trixie?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) How big is Trixie?
2) Is she on any regular medications like NSAIDs?

3) Has your vet ever diagnosed her with a luxating patella or "trick knee" in the past?
4) Does she use the leg regularly with intermittent periods of holding it up or is the limping steady with it getting worse at times?
5) How long have these episodes been a problem?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She weighs about 8 lbs. No meds. My vet said he 'thought' that it was like trick knee because it comes and goes. She started shaking a couple of days ago then this morning she started the limping again.

Bless her little heart.

It will take me about 20 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. I will be looking for your email!

A "trick knee" is a medical condition known as a luxating patella and your vet is right that these can come and go with time. One thing to mention is that your vet should be able to cause the patella (knee cap) to pop into and out of place if this is a luxating patella issue. There also tends to be a correlation with the 'ease' at which this happens and the grading of the patellar issue. In many cases, the dogs may require having surgery to normalize the structures and keep the patella in the right location.

There's a super comprehensive page here on this condition:
And video of a similarly sized dog with a luxating patella that's holding her limb up (your girl is apt to look like this if this is, indeed, the same condition):

The shaking, however, makes me worry that she's reached an age where arthritis is setting in and she may need to be placed on daily NSAIDs. This is actually quite common not only for dogs as a whole (especially as they get older) but dogs who battle issues like luxating patellas. It would not be a bad idea to have an x-ray performed on the knee, her hips and spine to see what conditions may underlie. Alternatively, a few days on NSAIDs (with or without higher grade pain medication if needed) may be, to quote a phrase, just what the doctor ordered. If she has no other medical conditions, you can also try a dose or two of aspirin but this is NOT for long term use as canine-safe NSAIDs are much safer and offer a lower risk for her long term. My favorites for tiny tots such as herself are Metacam and Rimadyl (one or the other will be selected). These are easily dosed, flavored and dogs do well on them overall. If she's a picky eater already, the metacam would be a better choice as it's liquid and can be placed directly into the mouth or mixed into a small bit of food. Aspirin dosage:

If/when she becomes more painful with time, pain medication can be added into the mix. For a little girl like her, tramadol is often used in conjunction with NSAIDs as needed.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish assisting you before you rate my service.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

If you have any questions, Tammy, please let me know.