Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We have a 30 lb dog that got into a package of medication

Customer Question

hi, we have a 30 lb dog that got into a package of medication that contained a 300 mg seroquel tablet, will this harm her if she ate it?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: winnie and she is 1 yr old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Winnie?
Customer: no otherwise health and on no meds
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

Quetiapine (Seroquel) appears to be well-tolerated in dogs. In dogs receiving quetiapine for 6 or 12 months, but not for 1 month, focal triangular cataracts occurred at the junction of posterior sutures in the outer cortex of the lens at a dose of 100 mg/kg (she ingested just 22 mg/kg), or 4 times the maximum recommended human dose on a mg/m2 basis. This finding may be due to inhibition of cholesterol biosynthesis by quetiapine. Quetiapine caused a dose-related reduction in plasma cholesterol levels in repeat-dose dog and monkey studies; however, there was no correlation between plasma cholesterol and the presence of cataracts in individual dogs. The appearance of delta–8–cholestanol in plasma is consistent with inhibition of a late stage in cholesterol biosynthesis in these species. There also was a 25% reduction in cholesterol content of the outer cortex of the lens observed in a special study in quetiapine treated female dogs. Drug-related cataracts have not been seen in any other species; however, in a 1-year study in monkeys, a striated appearance of the anterior lens surface was detected in 2/7 females at a dose of 225 mg/kg or 5.5 times the maximum recommended human dose on a mg/m2 basis.

I wouldn't induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
300 mg won't cause any harm to her?

Not unless she experienced an idiosyncratic (peculiar) reaction to this drug. 300 mg is a very small dose for a 30 lb dog. Historically spea*****, *****ients I've discussed in this site who have ingested quetiapine remained well. Please continue our conversation if you wish.