Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I think our dogs eyes just suddenly sunk in or rolled back.

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: I think our dogs eyes just suddenly sunk in or rolled back. She began whining to us.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: My husband hugged her for a minute and suddenly her eyes went back to normal.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: 9yo female German Shepard
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Her name is***** eyeballs have been gray looking for a long time, vet is not concerned. She is otherwise fit and healthy. Up to date with vaccinations.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Suzie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

When it looks like a dog's eyes rolled back, it usually is because they partially covered the eyes with their third eyelids. If they went back to normal, I would not be too worried. If they stay like that, it may indicate an eye problem, or could even indicate an internal problem. But if they are back to normal now, I would just monitor her for now.

How old is Suzie? Dog's eyes will take on a gray color, inside the pupil, after about 10 years of age. It is a normal age related change of the lens of the eye, called "nuclear sclerosis". Still, she should be checked to be sure it is just this normal aging change, not cataracts.

There is a supplement called OcuGLO that might help with aging changes of the eyes.

Let me know if this is helpful and what else I can answer or help with. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.

How is Suzie?

Was this helpful? Can I answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?