Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dogs have kennel cough and I'm trying any home remedies

Customer Question

My dogs have kennel cough and I'm trying any home remedies to get rid of it. A nurse told me to give them coughing pill after their meal but I didn't know it the were safe.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What can I do at home to treat there Wej What kind I do here to trey Dayn
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello.

Most kennel cough dogs will run their course over 7-10 days. The most common at home anti-tussive that I have owners use is Robitussin DM. You can pick this up at a pharmacy and give it to your dogs.

The dose is 1/4 teaspoon for a small dog, 1/2 for a medium sized dog and 1 teaspoon for a large dog. You can give it every 8-12 hours, as needed.

If the signs worsen, then I would get a vet to prescribe some antibiotics. Most will resolve with at home care, though.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?