Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My Boston Terrier turned 10 in October. The last month or so

Customer Question

My Boston Terrier turned 10 in October. The last month or so he has been low key whining all the time and when he falls asleep the whining gets much louder and he kicks his back legs every couple of minutes.
Tonight it is so bad he is keeping me up. I need to know if I need to borrow a few bucks from my friends and take him to the vet or is this just something old Bostons do.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

This doesn't sound to serious. As long as he's breathing normally and he's not having issues when awake, I would just ignore this. The kicking is just something a lot of dogs do when they are sleeping. The whining is not typical, but it's also not really a sign of any specific medical condition.

You may try a mild sedative before bed and see if they helps. You could use over the counter Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given up to every 6 hours, as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.