Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog got a hold of a previcid pill that I dropped and ate

Customer Question

My dog got a hold of a previcid pill that I dropped and ate it. He is kind of lathorgic do you think he is ok?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jerry and he is 16
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jerry?
Customer: He also got into the trash today
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience of treating dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How much does Jerry weigh?

2. How long ago did this happen, how many minutes or hours ago?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Jerry is a multi pooh. He weighs 26 # he ate it about 2 1/2 hrs ago
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also he is 16 yrs old

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

I would very much doubt if this will cause your dog any serious problem ...

1. Prevacid is sometimes used in dogs so it is not toxic to them as such, a usual dose rate would be between 0.5 to 1 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight given once a day. It is usually used to treat stomach ulcers in dogs but it is recognised as a drug with a very high margin of safety in dogs so minor overdoses rarely cause any significant side effects.

2. I think the best thing to do is just to give your dog plenty of water to drink and just monitor him for present but if any odd side effects do occur then it would be best to have a vet check him over without delay but this would be unlikely.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Jerry is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Prevacid incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott