Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a small pekingese who started panting non stop and

Customer Question

I have a small pekingese who started panting non stop and keeps walking in circles like she's lost. She won't eat or drink and she keeps looking around like she's confused.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds. She recognises her name but continues non stop circles in my lap.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. How old is But?
Customer: She's almost 11
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about But?
Customer: Nothing in her history that is abnormal. Healthy her whole life.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

Aimless pacing and particularly circling as well as confusion (a change in mentation/mental status) is pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of encephalopathy (brain disorder) involving the forebrain (cerebrum and thalamus). Primary brain disorders such as brain tumor and disorders outside the brain but affecting it such as a poorly functioning liver or kidneys are considered. Her vet will want to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. If nothing untoward is found in such testing, MRI will be recommended.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.