Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My breeder gave me amoxicillin and some other small pill

Customer Question

Hello my breeder gave me amoxicillin and some other small white pill which I'm not sure what it's call to give to my puppy for Coccidia but she did not send the instructions for administering them are you able to advise me I can't get a hold of her at the moment my puppy is a shichon
JA: I'm sorry that To is feeling poorly. What is wrong with To?
Customer: Runny stools with blood but it has firm up since he's been eating pumpkin in his food
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about To?
Customer: He wasn't eating at first but has since picked up his appetite we have only had him 5 days now he is 3 1/2 months old
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

I would actually stop both medications. Amoxicillin does not treat Coccidia. It can actually make the nausea and diarrhea worse. I'm not sure what the other pill is. The treatment for Coccidia is Albon, a sulfa drug. This is typically given in a yellow liquid that smells like bananas.

I would go to a vet to have a fecal check done and then get some Albon to start for the assumed coccidia. The chances are, a fecal was not done by the breeder and they are just assuming Coccidia. Most breeders don't do fecal floats and check for eggs under a microscope.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.