Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog has been spiking a 105 fever off and on year. It is

Customer Question

My dog has been spiking a 105 fever off and on for a year. It is now at 105. He was at the vet today for fluids and antibiotics. He came home with a temp of 105.5. They gave him enroflaxcin and hydromorphine but no NSAD to bring fever down. Can I give him a deramx to maybe bring fever down. This all started with a tick borne illness.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I think I specified enough. What else do you need to know
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

I don't see any contraindication to an NSAID such as Deramaxx. If this started with a tick borne illness, I would conjecture that an immune-mediated cytopenia, glomerulopathy or arthropathy has arisen and the judicious use of a glucocorticosteroid at either an antiinflammatory or immunosuppressive dose should be considered. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. Could a lepto vaccine caused this? This all started after he had the vaccine. Tick disease was diagnosed after he started to have symptoms.

Yes, a form of systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS) following vaccination is conjectured. It also would be addressed with a glucocorticosteroid such as prednisone.

You're quite welcome. Please continue our conversation if you wish.