Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

We have tried to breed our dog twice and she hasn't gotten

Customer Question

We have tried to breed our dog twice and she hasn't gotten pregnant either time. The first time I really think she got pregnant but miscarried and the second time the breeder only did AI because I hadn't done a brucellosis test. Is it not worth trying again, or should I look into fertility testing? I'm just not sure what to do now?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No, she is the greatest dog in the world, and very healthy. Just trying to figure out when to do testing, or if it is worth trying again.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

The first time she got pregnant (possibly) was she vaccinated after mating?

Is there any reason why she may have miscarried?

Why do you think she miscarried?

Was she tested prior to AI being performed to ensure she was in the right stage of heat for insemination?

Is the stud known to be fertile?

Does she have any aggression issues that you know of?

Any excessive hair loss?

I was hoping to get a response back but I don't want you going to long without a response. Dogs exposed to the herpes virus can lead to the loss of a litter. Subsequent litters are usual fine in that case. However, there are medical causes that can leed to decreased fertility such as hypothyroidism. Your vet could run a thyroid panel to check for that. However, the following page has a detailed chart on how to determine why a female dog is not conceiving including what diagnostic tests would need to be run.

http://www.labbies.com/reproduction2.htm

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Just a quick followup to see if you read the diagnostic chart on the site I supplied for you. It is a very comprehensive chart and covers the order in which the different diagnostic tests should be done and which ones are unnecessary based on the responses or test results. I also want to remind you that you can continue to ask followup questions on the subject even after rating.