PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Dog got in bottle of cyclobenzaprine.. Washstand chewing on

Customer Question

Dog got in bottle of cyclobenzaprine.. Washstand chewing on cap not many pills in bottle if he did eat some it was very few he weighs 25 lbs. mixed doxie
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My dog was chewing on bottle of cyclobenzaprine , not sure if he swallowed any pills or not.... What should I do
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I'm so sorry to hear that your dog may have consumed some of these pills. Do you know when it happened?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
About 20 minutes ago
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I gave him peroxide , and he has thrown up once

Good. You're still within the correct amount of time to get him to vomit.

Because we don't know exactly how many he has eaten, if he ate any at all, it's best to induce vomiting. You will want to use a brand new bottle of peroxide for the most effective results. Follow the instructions here: http://www.sunrisepetclinicaz.com/vomiting.html

Be on the lookout for any awkward behavior, you'll want to watch him for acting drunk, walking funny, sleeping very hard and being unable to wake up when disturbed, etc. If this happens, present him to your local most clinic for evaluation promptly.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish assisting you before you rate my service.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How long before symptoms should appear

You should see symptoms start 2-6 hours following ingestion. I just got your post about him already having vomited. If you haven't seen any pills come up, chances are he didn't eat them. Always good to keep an eye out, though.

Is there any other assistance I can give you today?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you very much... I am just really scared...this is a very dangerous drug for a puppy to ingest... If he did swallow any they are only 5mg.... But still lethal do you think? When my husband gets here I will go on to emergency clinic if you think I should

If he's vomited them up, they should not be lethal. Making him vomit was an excellent choice.

If he were to have consumed a lot of them and not been made to vomit, this could very well have been lethal.

If no pills were produced in the vomit, it seems unlikely that you'd need to go to the ER. If you wish to be certain, a trip there wouldn't hurt. They can also induce vomiting to be sure that the stomach is empty. Activated charcoal would not be a bad approach for such a case. If he were my dog, knowing how quickly he'd been made to vomit, I'd elect to wait and watch.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, thanks again

Sure thing. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today. Best of luck!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What is activated charcoal and can I give that?

Activated charcoal helps to keep the body from absorbing toxins. There's an additive that's often used to help speed up the peristaltic motion in the GI tract so that dogs eliminate it faster (they go to the bathroom a LOT and quickly). This is not available over the counter, but you can find activated charcoal at just about any store.

Directions here for dosing: http://bestpethomeremedies.com/dog-poisoning/

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I could try the activated charcoal, without the additive the vet would have? How much should I give him, I think I have this for my aquarium

You'll want to buy the tablets available for oral consumption if you're going to give it.

Dosing instructions are available here. Look toward the bottom of the page: http://bestpethomeremedies.com/dog-poisoning/

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** I'm also going to burn a piece of bread and give him

Check back in if you need any more assistance. Hopefully there will be no problems to arise from this consumption.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today. Best of luck!