PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I take my dog out to poop and you strain too hard to poop in

Customer Question

I take my dog out to poop and you strain too hard to poop in the rear of a little bit of diarrhea come out and then was in then drops of blood
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.

Hi Timothy, thanks for your question.

When did this begin, was it just today?

Has he been having diarrhea over the last few days?

Any consumption of human food? A change in diet? New treats?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it happened just happen today yes my girl just started giving them pedigree dentastix
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That we have 2 dogs and it's only happening to one of them
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It was real red and real fresh blood it was dropped and then he is bleeding around his rectum

Thank you for the additional information. It will take me about 20 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.

The diarrhea is very common when we give new foods to our dogs. It's not uncommon, however, for one dog to have problems while another is not. It's possible that the other could develop problems in the near future, however.

The blood, on the other hand, is very concerning. The bright appearance means that it is fresh and the irritation is coming from the end of his GI tract/rectum. It would be advisable to have him seen because of this blood and to get him started on antibiotics to prevent there from being a larger problem created by intestinal bacteria being able to enter the blood stream through these open areas in the intestines. Your vet may also wish to switch diets for a few days and ensure that his stool is firming up and his intestines healing.

One thing that you must be sure to watch for regularly during these cases of diarrhea, especially when they turn bloody, is something known as a rectal prolapse. We often see this in puppies, not so much adult dogs, but when they start straining really hard the tissue from within the rectum can protrude out and turn a concerning situation into a medical emergency. This is what you'll be on the lookout for. If this happens, you'll need to take your dog *immediately* to a veterinary clinic that can see him. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=15wasrb&s=9#.VvW7ScdlnVo

If you wish to try some home treatment, it's time to pull up the dentastix. You can change his diet over from his normal food to boiled chicken breast and white rice that's been cooked down until mushy. You should give him food in small increments frequently instead of a large meal (you don't want to overload the intestines which are already stressed). Feeding 1/2 cup every 2 hours around the clock will help him. You can also add some pumpkin to this, if you like, ensuring that you use only canned pumpkin and not the pie filling. Again, it's still preferential to have him seen and treated to prevent worse symptoms but if he's still eating options remain for trying to help him at home, too.

If at any point you see vomiting begin, there's profuse diarrhea with blood, he continues to strain to a point that you're even *beginning* to see tissue from within the rectum, etc. I would promptly have him seen. Often the earlier treatment is started the easier it is for dogs to recover quickly (and it usually costs less to treat them).

Are there any other questions I can answer for you today in regards ***** ***** situation?