Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He has a large sore on the inside of s ear flap, some wax

Customer Question

He has a large sore on the inside of his ear flap, some wax discharge and a very unpleasant smell.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is a shih tzu and is 13.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Digby?
Customer: No
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

It sounds as if Digby has developed an ulcerated and purulent (pusy) bacterial infection of his pinnal (ear flap) skin which usually occurs secondary to the same infection inside his ear canal. This will need his vet's attention. The ear is thoroughly irrigated and packed with an antibiotic/antifungal/glucocorticosteroid ointment and the same ointment can be applied to the pinna sore as well.

Can you upload a close-up photo(s) of this sore to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as I can be more accurate if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok trying to send

Thank you. The photo was very important for me to see. That's a badly ulcerated lesion with areas of necrosis - tissue death. There's a good chance that it represents skin cancer such as squamous cell carcinoma at Digby's age. That diagnosis is made by biopsy and if confirmed, Digby would his pinna through surgery. Please have his vet take a look at this at your earliest convenience. Please continue our conversation if you wish.