Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 5-6 year old hound is vomiting dark red sticky blood he

Customer Question

My 5-6 year old walker hound is vomiting dark red sticky blood he does this once every night he is eating and drinking normal he acts normal no pain in his stomach area he does not have a fever and crt is normal his gums are pretty pink but bright but he does have a lot of tarter his stools are a little loose with some mucous the stools smell normal the vomitus is really foul
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Walker hound eat anything unusual?
Customer: No this has been the last 4 nights
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the Walker hound's name?
Customer: Walker
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Walker?
Customer: I don't think so. He is current on all vaccs and is wormed fairly regular he is not coughing or acting sick
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 months ago.

Hi jaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Vomiting blood could be caused by many things including a non-food item in your dog's system, which may have punctured your dog's stomach, Poisoning, ulcers, a blood disorder, and more. It could also be that your dog cut it's mouth and swallowed blood and is now vomiting it up. If an ulcer is to blame, you can give your dog some pepcid or Zantac. Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Zantac can be given to a dog at .25 to 1mg per pound every 8-12 hours. Read about usage here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx

Check your dog's mouth to see if he has a wound in his mouth or a tooth that’s bleeding. If it is not swallowed blood, I urge you to get your dog to the vet.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hematemesis-vomiting-blood-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not much help except take to vet

I gave you information on what to use if you feel it is an ulcer. However, if your dog may have ingested poison such as mouse poison or ingested a foreign object, your dog will have to see your vet. You vet can also prescribe a better medication for ulcers than the over the counter medications I suggested.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I wanted to speak with a vet. I have more experience in the field as the person who answered was a vet tech for 12 years and gave 30 years in sheltering and animal hu

They should have given you the option of a VET Only response. The vet will likely give the same answer. I'll opt out though I'm not sure why you asked if you already knew the answer and have that much experience. I'll opt out at this time. Please don't respond as that will lock out other experts from answering.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I would take him to the vet if he was acting sick in any way except this issue
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

I'll follow up for Jane Lefler for you. Hematemesis - vomiting blood - is a danger sign for bleeding disorders, heavy metal intoxication, infectious disorders, gastroduodenal erosions/ulcerations (non-pharmacologic), metabolic disorders, stress erosions/ulceration, drug administration (glucocorticoids, NSAIDS), gastric/duodenal foreign bodies, neoplasia, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, and esophageal disorders. I understand your reticence to bring him to the vet because he isn't acting sick otherwise. The danger in not doing so, however, is that if the bleeding indicates an ulcer or foreign body in danger of perforating his upper GI tract, that perforation will be life-threatening very rapidly. I'm not here to badger you into having him attended to but, instead, apprise you of what kind of devastating sequelae he might be facing.

Diagnostics to consider are a basic diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests plus bleeding times and X-rays +/- ultrasound of his upper GI tract. Please continue our conversation if you wish.