Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Same thing just happened to my frenchton. He caught a

Customer Question

Same thing just happened to my frenchton. He caught a squirrel and it bit him on the lip. Squirrel didn't look the least bit rabid the squirrels are very healthy looking around this neighborhood. He is up to date on his shots. Should I worry?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 7 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 27 years. I would be happy to help.

Thankfully squirrels are not a species that we normally see rabies. We see several dogs a month in my area that have been bitten by a squirrel they caught. If he is up to date on his vaccines that that drastically diminishes the risks. The most common problem we see as a result of a squirrel bite is infection.

I would clean the area daily with an antibacterial wound wash and keep an eye on in for any signs of infection but I would not be concerned about rabies.

I hope this helps to ease your mind. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help. Give him a good pet from me and tell him I said to be nice to the squirrels even though they are fun to chase.

If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.

Expert:  Candy replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?