PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I think my dog ate some onion so I gave her hydrogen

Customer Question

I think my dog ate some onion so I gave her hydrogen peroxide but she has not thrown up.... Will the hydrogen peroxide do more harm than good now that she has not thrown up either?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gracie Lou she is about 12
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gracie Lou?
Customer: She is slightly anemic and I read that read onion causes anemia... also is this free?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) When did she eat the onion? Was it raw or cooked?
2) When did you give the peroxide?
3) Was the peroxide fresh or had the bottle been opened for over a few days?

This is a paid-for service. There are live experts who assist with each question. We are compensated for our time through the payment of each customer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi, thank you. She ate the onion approximately 45 minutes ago and it was raw. I gave her the peroxide about 30 minutes ago and it has been open for awhile maybe a couple months or so. She is 10 pounds and i gave her a teaspoon and a half.

It sounds like that might be the reason she didn't vomit.

Hydrogen peroxide is H2O2. Essentially, H2O (water) and Oxygen (O). Once opened, the H2O2 breaks apart into H2O and O. So, you've given her the equivalent of water. It's not unexpected for her not to vomit for that reason.

That said, you have about 2 hours from ingestion to induce vomiting. Take that time to get a fresh bottle of peroxide and induce the vomiting again using these instructions:

She should vomit in a few minutes. If she does not, you'll need to take her to the ER. Raw onion is a much bigger deal than cooked onion. Immune hemolytic anemia is what we fear for dogs who eat raw onion. More info here:

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish assisting you before you rate my service.