Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

I just noticed a hard pointy bump on the rear of my great Da

Customer Question

I just noticed a hard pointy bump on the rear of my great Da Es rear shoulder blade
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When you rub that shoulder it feels like he has a pointy stone attached right in the middle of his shoulder blade. It doesn't seem malleable
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that you're worried about this bump on your dog. I will do my best to help.

In general, lumps and bumps on the outside of the dog are frequently benign, meaning that they aren't a major concern in terms of cancer. Having said that, though, there are a percentage of masses on the outside of a dog that can be malignant, and there are also those that are benign but cause an issue because they are either growing very large, interfering with important structures like nerves or blood vessels, or they are continually breaking open and bleeding. An experienced vet can often get an idea of what a lump could be just by looking at it and feeling it. If I’m not exactly sure what a mass is, I’ll sometimes do what we call a fine needle aspirate, which is where we get some tissue for microscopic examination using a small needle. This can help differentiate between benign and malignant types of masses. In cases where I think that the mass is malignant or will continue to cause problems based on its location or behavior (ie: whether it’s broken open/bleeding or bothering the dog in any other way) I recommend removal of the mass.

With what you're describing, I would also consider whether this mass may be a tick. This obviously depends on whether you have ticks in your geographical area. They usually feel like small hard bumps attached to the dog's skin. When you look closer, you can see the legs of the tick close up against the skin. Ticks attach to the dog to feed for a few days and then drop off leaving a scab that usually heals on its own. They can carry diseases, though, which is why we usually remove them if we see them.

Here is a bit more info on ticks :

Please let me know what other questions I can handle for you.

~Dr. Sara

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)