Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I have 5 year old pit mix. She started drinking excessive

Customer Question

I have 5 year old pit mix. She started drinking excessive and urinating uncontrollably 3 weeks ago. She also vomits when drinks too much. I took her to the vet, they ruled out UTI, a Addisions, Cuchings and thought it was DI . Put her on DI medicine about a week ago. She stopped urinating less, but now won't eat much, her gums are often white, her urine count is down still as of today. She now shakes at times horribly and sleeps 24/7 . No energy, she lost weight already.
The vet doesn't seem to know what it could be. Chest X-rays and ultrasound came back clean. Waiting on a 7 day urine culture, but she is declining. Perhaps you have an idea. Thanks so much, cm
Category: Dog
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 7 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I am sorry to hear about your pets poor health status. It does seem that she is in deteriorating condition as you say. Do you have a copy of her medical records for me to review so that I can get some ideas of what could be going on with her?

There are some disease processes that come to mind which a lot of them you say have been ruled out, but other diseases can be harder to diagnose and will cause subtle changes on bloodwork analysis (CBC, Chemistry).

You should be able to post a copy of her CBC/CHemistry and Urinalysis findings here by using the "Add file" button just above the chat box. Then we can get started with my recommendations. I will be on for a better part of the day and tomorrow if you need more time to gather the information needed.

- Dr. H