Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

We just got her from the pound and she has been sneezing and

Customer Question

we just got her from the pound and she has been sneezing and today has a runny nose and feels warm
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is about 8 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nami?
Customer: no we just had her checked Monday by the local vet who thought the sneezing might be allergy and we were to give her a Benadryl at night
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Nami. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Nami's symptoms are definitely a worry and given her age and the fact she is from the pound, there are a few things that could be going on here. It sounds like the Benadryl hasn't made much of a difference here, but that doesn't necessarily rule out an allergy. Given the sneezing, runny nose and feeling warmer, an infectious cause is the most likely cause for her symptoms here - and that would tie in with her coming from the pound. There are a range of possible infectious issues that could be causing this, but canine infectious cough or canine influenza are very possible here. In fact there is currently a national outbreak of dog flu, so the chances of your girl being affected given her background and symptoms is quite high.

For this reason - if you can get her back to your local vet today before the long weekend, that would be the best way forward. Here they can carry out a full physical exam again and check her temp. If the symptoms and findings line up with an infectious cause, then they can start your girl on an appropriate treatment to get her on her way to recovery. Hopefully she is drinking ok, and do encourage her to drink plenty of water as she will be losing a lot of moisture from all the sneezing and runny nose. Also encourage her to eat her normal kibble as well.

If you can get her seen again today, that would be the best way forward here. If this is infectious, then it is important to start treatment asap rather than wait. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.