Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

Ma'am, My dog is 10, as of yesterday she has been acting

Customer Question

My dog is 10, as of yesterday she has been acting really strange. If I call her she doesn't come. She's running away from me. And she's staying in her kennel
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your pup has been acting so oddly.

Unfortunately the signs that you're describing are really vague, meaning that they don't indicate any one specific disease. There are a lot of reasons that a dog could be hiding in their kennel - including both medical and behavioral. If she's had a scare from something, that could cause her to want to hide and to not come when you're calling. On the other hand, if she's not feeling well from illness, that could also cause her to hide. I've seen dogs with stomach troubles, skin issues, painful injuries or back pain, anal gland issues, and many other diseases that will act as your'e describing. It's best to get her out and have a good look over her for evidence of wounds, painful spots, vomiting, diarrhea, breathing issues, belly distention, or anything else that you can pinpoint. Red flags that indicate she should have an urgent veterinary exam would be if she's having any difficulty breathing, if her gums are any color other than pink (like yellow, pale, or blue/purple), if her belly seems distended, hard, or painful, if she's obviously quite painful anywhere else, or if she's not eaten or drank for more than 24 hours. I hope that this info helps you sort out what is going on with her. When in doubt it's always best to have your pet examined in person by a veterinarian.

Please let me know what other questions I can handle for you.

~Dr. Sara

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)