Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

Name is Zach Have a mini dachshund and he just last night

Customer Question

Name is***** a mini dachshund and he just last night started yelping in pain. He doesn't seat have any issues when I touch him and try to locate the pain. He yelps if you try to pick him up
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Such as?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Zach who has been yelping in pain since last night. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

Thanks for your patience. These symptoms are definitely worrying given Zach's breed as dachshunds are particularly prone to intervertebral disc disease - and disc prolapse in particular. It doesn't sound like the pain can be isolate any where in particular which ties in with this possible cause, as the issue is spinal in nature. Of course there a range of other possible causes for Zach's pain here including anything from a joint issue that isn't manifesting as a lameness, to abdominal pain, or even oral pain.

For now, keep him as quiet and still as you can. Because of his breed and their tendency for intervertebral disc disease, I really would encourage you to get him seen by your local vet straight away. If this is indeed a disc issue, then he needs to be seen immediately and diagnostics need to be carried out to confirm or deny this possibility. If diagnostics confirm this, Zach may even need referral to a specialist clinic for further testing (such as an MRI or myelogram) and potentially even surgery. Hopefully this isn't a back issue, but it's definitely best to assume it could be and to get him seen immediately. If a disc issue is ruled out, then the full physical exam your vet carries out first and foremost may highlight the cause of his pain. Furthermore -your vet will be able to give canine specific pain relief to your boy. Don't be tempted to try him with any human pain meds please.

So - do keep Zach as still and quiet as possible, and please arrange a vet visit now if you can. It is always better to play it safe with Dachshunds in this situation. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc