Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Hard hacky cough; ding under a table while we are gone and

Customer Question

hard hacky cough; hiding under a table while we are gone and threw up today
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. He only wants his treats and not his dog food
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chewie. Age 12
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chewie?
Customer: hard hacky cough for two days
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on Chewie's signs, this sounds most suggestive of an upper airway infection (ie kennel cough, Parainfluenza) or esophageal irritation (if he ate something abrasive or irritating); as opposed to a GI upset. And if his throat is irritated, this could certainly put him off eating his normal food and only dare discomfort for the treats he likes best.

With this all in mind, if Chewy is getting to the point that this irritation is making him vomit, we do need to tread with care. Specifically, it'd be ideal to consider having a check up with his vet so they can confirm which issue we have present. If infection is confirmed, then antibiotics would be indicated. But if he does have an esophagitis, then gastroprotectants and gut safe pain relief would be required to help soothe his throat.

Otherwise, in the meantime, to reduce and soothe this cough, you can try giving a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here. Or if you do think he is nauseous with this, we could also use Milk of Magnesia (0.5 tsp every 8 hours) to coat his throat as well as soothe any stomach upset. And further to these, we'd want to try offering soft foods, watering down puppy food, or even using a liquid diet to get food in even if he is unsettled or sore in his throat.

Overall, these would be our concerns for Chewy's signs. And if they are worsening over these 2 days and now triggering vomiting, we'd be best to try the above to soothe his throat but also plan to have a check with his vet so that targeted treatment can be dispensed to nip this in the bud for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )