Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My dog Rocky seems to maybe have a broken/dislocated tail?

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: My dog Rocky seems to maybe have a broken/dislocated tail? He stopped using it on Tuesday night I noticed. He is acting totally normal otherwise but won't use his tail and whimpers when he poops because his tail won't go up. He does NOT like it when I try to touch or more his tail
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is Rocky?
Customer: He's around 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rocky?
Customer: He has no prior health issues. He's new to my house, his old owner could no longer care for him
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.

Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....
​What breed of dog is Rocky?

Has he been doing any swimming or excessively playing lately?

Is he tucking the tail?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He is a pitbull mix. He hasn't swam, but I just brought him into my home and he has been having more play time than he was used to as his old owner was a 65 year old with Alzheimers so he wasn't getting much exercise or play time. He isn't tucking the tail it's just hanging. He will sit down kind of cautiously it seems to make sure he doesn't sit on it? And he isn't jumping up onto the couch and more just climbing up
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for answering my questions....I appreciate it.

Without being able to see your dog personally, it's hard to say what exactly could be going on...however, since we've ruled out trauma, problems with the rectum such as constipation or anal gland issues and problems with his belly, combined with the fact your dog is a power breed type of dog makes me wonder if perhaps your dog has 'limber tail'...or as it's called in Northern Minnesota, "Lab Tail"

We see many dogs with these flacid, painful tails and the majority of the time, we see it on Labs, although any dog with a thick, powerful tail can come down with it. I've seen it mostly in hunting dogs, but I've seen it in Chihuahuas and Bichons too.

You can find more information on the problem here:

In our practice, we generally treat with some kind of anti-inflammatory and rest. The tail generally heals itself within a couple weeks. Since it is a painful issue though, the best thing to do is to have him seen by a vet as soon as possible. If your regular vet is open tomorrow, then you can have them take a peek at them, otherwise, you may want to consider having him seen at an emergency vet tonight so they can get him started on some anti-inflammatories ad get him feeling better sooner.

I hope this helps!

Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?